Friday, July 30, 2010

My Personal Experiences And After thoughts On My First ACT

My 1st ACT Experience:

Pre-Test/Section One:Reading

Walking in to the testing auditorium I was already fatigued from the start. I didn't eat enough for breakfast and I had studies systematically 2 hours per night  for the past 7 days to cram in a mega review. I felt more comfortable on what I was being tested but not a whole lot of it stuck. I'm a lefty and I was assigned a righty desk right smack in the middle of the college auditorium. I was staring right into the thigh of  a hot brunette wearing a plaid skirt. Like life wasn't tough enough. Now, I started talking to the girl about the test and how it was my 1st time and she talked the same worries back, getting us both more nervous and anxious. This was not my original game plan! I tried to get re-centered and focused but things weren't going my way anyways already, I had to write across my body, I had gotten flustered because I argued with the test administer about changing to a left desk, which unfortunately were all taken! So the test started with English, my best subject. Now, I did okay but I was really nervous and disconnected for the 1st five minutes so I got off to a slow start. This hindered me toward the end when I had 5 minutes left to do about 15 questions. Well, I got them done but not as accurately as I could've.

Section Two : Math

My Bread And Butter. Started to get in a groove and zipped right through it. While the permuation and combination was a little fuzzy, not to mention a few problems of Trig, I felt it was easy.After all, I had gotten straight A's in Math ever since 6th grade.

Break:  Bought two snickers Bars, mmmmmhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Section Three: Grammar

Feeling Confident I felt things were turning around for me when I began to have an anxiety attack or some kind of mental lapse. Not good, I stopped and tried to relax and get going again but I felt I was starting to think illogically. Overall, the parallelism is what got me in the end. Word choice and tenses were easy but parallelism gave me a few stumbles.

Section Four: Science 

Feeling fatigued, but intrigued by my neighbor.....
I started the hardest section of them all, Science. This is thus because you have to analyze boring, complicated graphs after 100 minutes of testing. I totally had the wheels come off on this section. I was already thinking that I didn't prepare myself and why try when I knew I could do better next time. Doubt was creeping into my conscious all the while I was not getting the graphs and the downward spiral grew more severe until finally a last attempt with five minutes left to answer the last 20 questions. I had completely blown this section.

Writing Section:

Writing was also my marque area of aptitude. I had been a natural born writer and knew exactly how to write a convincing thesis paper. The Topic I got was asking me to give my opinion on the inclusion of Gym, Choir, and elective subjects and their place in a high school. I replied that if still included, they should not determine a student's grade and if not that, just removed and not required by the district to pass high school.It Went Great, The Best I Could Imagine!

Blue = Above Average
Red=Below Average
Green=Average

                                My Score: 22
Reading :21
Math:23
Grammar:21
Science:19
Writing: 11 Out Of 12


Overall to be honest, I was happy with this score as a first attempt. Better Than I'd Expected. Hey, 21 is Average, so I'd scored in the top 50% percentile on my first try, not bad right?

 

 




.

No comments:

Post a Comment